Radon poisoning is responsible for 21,000 lung cancer deaths every single year.

The scariest part about radon is that we don’t see it, we can’t feel it, we can’t smell it, and we can’t taste it. It is naturally occurring and is okay in small doses of exposure, but too much exposure is referred to as poisoning.

So how will you know if you’re exposed to radon? You might not know if and exactly when you’re exposed to radon, but becoming educated about radon can help you become more aware of the risks and symptoms of radon poisoning.

What Is Radon?

Radon is a naturally occurring colorless and odorless gas. Radon is a by-product of the radioactive decay of radioactive gases, like radium. It is radioactive in itself, as well as carcinogenic and is a leading cause of lung cancer.

It is undetectable by human senses, which makes it even more dangerous.

What Is Radon Poisoning?

Radon poisoning happens when a large amount of radon enters the body.

When it occurs, it will cause harmful physical effects on the body.

It isn’t an immediate reaction with obvious symptoms, instead, it lays dormant and can eventually causes disease, like lung cancer.

Radon naturally occurs in small quantities, but some places can have more than others, when it causes adverse effects, then it is considered radon poisoning. We often won’t know that it is poisoning level for a while.

If you’re concerned about radon exposure, contact an expert near you.


The scariest thing about it is that it is symptomless. The radioactive gas does not have a smell, you can’t see it, and you can’t taste it.

It is extremely important that people take precautions in areas that have higher than acceptable radon levels, as determined by the EPA.

Eventually, someone who has had radon poisoning may have symptoms like coughing up blood, chest pain, or breathing difficulties. This could possibly indicate lung cancer and the person should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

How Are We Exposed?

Radon exposure can occur indoors or outdoors. Possible sources include uranium ores, phosphate rock, igneous rocks, metamorphic rocks, and shales. In plain speak, rocks and soil can give off radon.

Radon exposure can also come from man-made sources. It usually enters buildings at the lowest level, like a basement, and moves up in cracks and through the foundation.

Some people are exposed to higher than acceptable levels of radon at their homes or their jobs. Certain jobs pose a greater risk of exposure and therefore poisoning. Mine shafts are notorious for

Are You Worried About Radon?

Do you think you’ve been exposed to radon? Are you in an area that the EPA has deemed to have higher than acceptable radon levels?

Don’t wait and let the radon poisoning lie dormant and to only appear as lung cancer years later. Radon is dangerous, but we can protect you.

At Seitz, we have radon mitigation services that can help you remove the radon in your home. Remove the exposure, get the best local help.